Friday, July 8, 2016

Mission Update From Kendall and Madeline

Among the many stories told, experiences had, and memories made, two young ladies of our group had a few minutes to share some of their thoughts. Kendall Walker of Saint Pauls’ Church in Hanover and Madeline Granger of Warrenton have been working hard as part of a crew that has done demolition, finishing work, more demolition and, you guessed it… more demolition.
When asked what her first trip here has been like, Madeline was quick to answer. “It’s been really good and extremely satisfying to be doing such great work and make a big impact on the families we’re working for.” She said. “I’ve never really done any of the things that we’ve been doing this week previously, so along with teaching me new skills, I think it’s a lot of fun.”
Miss Kendall Walker, on her fourth consecutive mission trip from Hanover, was more than happy to be back in Hollywood, and back to work on the job site. “One of the main reasons I keep coming back is because, not only is it satisfying, you never know what kind of work you will get to do from year to year.” said Walker. “My first year here, I felt like when I left my connection with God was made stronger through this ministry. The people we do this for have very little in terms of possessions, yet they remain extremely faithful, and I learned a lot from that.”
The two then laughed and reminisced a little as they looked back on the week about 15 minutes prior to leaving for the job site one last time. “I’m glad Patrick is ok, and not having seen it, it’s still pretty funny that he fell through the ceiling.” Said Madeline with a smile.
“It’s nice to be able to hang out with people all week, both old friends and new. It’s a great bonding experience, and we share a lot of memories together.” said Kendall
As we sat and put together this blog, long-time volunteer and co-coordinator Ryan Wilvert walked into the room. With a quick joke about the girls being in trouble, he exited the room without interview.
 The girls said Ryan’s brief interruption was a perfect example of relationships they’ve had and built over their time here.
“When I first came on the mission trip, Saint Pauls’ only had like 3 adults on the trip, so we’ve always connected and felt very welcome by the adults of Saint James’. I only see Ryan once a year, but it seems like I’ve known him forever.” Kendall said. “I definitely look forward to coming back, and can’t wait to come and learn new projects. I want to take every opportunity I have because I know not every person my age has that. I always learn something new about myself on these trips. It’s a little sad to think that after next year, I might not have that one week missions trip, but these memories and experience are something I will take with me forever.”
Madeline agreed about seeing familiar faces and being made to feel “comfortable” throughout the week. “I think I would definitely come back and have really enjoyed this experience and have had a lot of fun.”
When asked what they would like the readers at home and elsewhere to learn from our trip, the girls shared a little insight. “That we need to recognize the impact small gestures can make to people. Leftover lunch can be an emotional treat for folks who may not be able to afford a watermelon. It’s not only this trip where we have an opportunity to give back and learn about people that we live with in this world.”
Thank you ladies!

Peace from the south y’all




No comments:

Post a Comment